Saturday, March 01, 2008
-Heartlanders-
Super long post.. CoZ super long story....
Last two weeks were really eventful. Last friday, mummy came into my room while I was all sleepy and said,"Lao er, is ur IC with you? Did you lose it or lend it to somebody?" Puzzled with the sudden question, I sleepily walked into my study room to ransack my bag, looking for my red wallet. "Nope, it is with me.Why?" I answered while looking at my pink ic.
Mummy:"some da er long write our unit no. on the wall near the stairs claiming we owe them money!" I was so shocked. Wearing my pj(oversize t-shirt and curve FBT shorts) and with messy hair, I dashed to the scene. -.-'' Guess what happen, they wrote our unit no. 04-194 but splashed paint on 04-198. My poor neighbour house have red paint all over the gate, steps and window. The first thought that came to my mind was- I reconigze the red paint they use, it is exactly the color we use to paint my SJC form classroom. Realizing I should not think of it, I shook my head and spoke. "Have anyone contacted the police?" I asked. I guess my dad had done so since he did not go to work that day. Soon the police came to take our statement and some pictures. Town council came in the afternoon to paint away whatever that was written on the wall.
HOWEVER,
it was too late. The news that my family owe money had spread across Ave 5 so quickly that the experience of buying lunch from the coffee shop at 327 was like I was an animal in the zoo. Stares, curious looks from the aunties sitting on the stone chairs in the parks and even my block residents. Our reputation went down the drain. That is how powerful my neighbour aunties are. "Aiyo, that navy uncle go borrow money from loanshark. so poor thing..." such comments are normal. Some daring souls even came up to my mother this week to ask how much we owe!!!!!!!!!!! Crap isn't it? Stupid runners, can paint unit no. wrongly. It that bloody 6th floor guy that borrow money but instead of 06-194 they wrote 04-194. No brainers!!! Ruin my family reputation.
But I am still afraid that the loansharks may come to the wrong house one day. Paranoid i can say. So yesterday evening, when I was all alone at home, somebody knock our wooden door damn hard. I could heard the person talking on the mobile phone very loudly, peeking through the door-hole I saw this guy wearing red talking on the phone, first thought- LOANSHARkS!!! How? what should I do? Open the door to confront them? or pretend I am not at home? All these thoughts were racing through my mind then.
Timid the person I am, I bit my tongue and stood behind the door. Soon, there was sound from outside, i looked through the door-hole again to see the man dialing on his mobile. Next thing I know, my house phone rang. I panick. should I pick up? Hesitating for a while, I took a deep breath and connect through.
"Hi, I am from Singpost. Currently at ur door step, I am ordered to send a modem to you. Could you open the door?"
-.-'' I felt so stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My sister forget to tell me that a delivery man was coming. My legs turned jelly during the whole 3 minutes ordeal.... Felt so dumb!!!!!
Hopefully the loansharks get the right address from now on... So I won't have such fear. Papa says this is part and parcel of heartlanders' life. HDB flat in Hougang in future? Anyone? Especially Ave 5, where news spread fast?!!!!